Author Topic: What is your favorite Linux distro ?  (Read 3404 times)

Online Sasidhar  9905

• KAT Staff
  • Global Rep: 8084
What is your favorite Linux distro ?
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:01:19 pm »
What is your favorite Linux distro ? 

Hello and Welcome to this thread

Feel free to share the details of your favorite Linux distro here

List of all available Linux distros can be found here

Note :

~ All Site Rules apply here

~ No off topic discussions please
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:08:25 pm by Sasidhar. »

Offline whitak3r  7

• Global Rep: 0
Re: What is your favorite Linux distro?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 02:51:20 am »
I've become quite used to Ubuntu. I'm no where close to good enough to use other ones. I recently installed it on my old PC to get more familiar with it so I can make full use of my Seedbox. It's helped A LOT, not only with PC's but just understanding root on Android and stuff as well. Really crazy how well it works and what can be done with it, vs windows.

Offline ihearvoices  40

• Global Rep: 14
Re: What is your favorite Linux distro?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:26:47 am »
I have been using Ubuntu since release 8.04.Have tried other distros but stuck with this.Now up to 16.04.Am past retirement age and use it for just about everything.So if you put a linux distro on an old laptop or desktop and experiment with it then decide whether to go linux or windows or both is up to you.I would not go the dual boot option.

Offline Kind9  271

• Global Rep: 106
Re: What is your favorite Linux distro ?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
Slackware is my favorite OS. I disagree with anyone who discourages newbies from using it. If you can RTFM then you can get along fine with Slackware. These are some of the things I love about Slackware:

- It's super easy to configure, using plain text files and bash scripts for the most part.
- Most software is built from source so you can fine-tune for your system.
- No dependency tracking, you have full control of what gets installed on your system.
- No bloatware, proprietary software, or any software modified from upstream.
- Friendly, helpful, mature community at LQ.com.

Anyone considering trying it should look here: https://anon.to/?https://docs.slackware.com/
Especially the Getting Started pages and the Slackware Essentials book.

Offline bloodwar30  878

• Global Rep: 128
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 05:24:20 pm »
Lubuntu/LXLE. Lightweight, having Ubuntu abilities with the LXDE desktop and it can make even coal powered computers work with it. LXLE is a Lubuntu release with a LOT of preinstalled apps that is to help newbies to have everything ready for them, without them needing to download and install things. I revived a handful of old machines with LXLE and a couple of them just Lubuntu.

Offline penguinpirate  905

• Super User
  • Global Rep: 307
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:55:02 pm »
My favorite would probably be Arch but I would recommend Manjaro to new users or anyone else looking to get an idea of it.
Manjaro is really easy to install and use but its pretty close to Arch, its got pretty new software only a few days behind arch which it is based on, if you switch to testing its only a couple of hours for new software.

One of the things that turned me off Ubuntu or other Debian based distros is the software getting locked in and you couldn't get new versions or if you did it mess up after updates. Debian testing is not too bad but when I was using it HEVC x265 was only making its appearance and vlc, mplayer or any other player would play HEVC because the versions were too old, Manjaro did play it straight after installing, it had a newer vlc and when I installed mplayer it worked too.
That said if Arch and obviously Manjaro was not there I would probably be using Debian Stretch now. It was the most stable system I used, Arch is pretty stable but not as stable as debian. I never noticed any kind of unwanted change after and update in debian but some Arch gave 1 or 2 little problems I needed to fix.(GTK3.20 :cry: :angry: )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:56:44 pm by penguinpirate »

Offline InkQuill72  120

• Global Rep: 41
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »
At present it's Kali Linux. I enjoy using it because it is easy to use and installing stuff isn't too hard. Other honourable mentions include Debian Stretch/Testing and Fedora.

Offline Nur1Labs  49

• Global Rep: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:53:22 pm »
My distro linux. Name Bentenmaru :D

Offline EyeMJR  278

• Global Rep: 103
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:41:11 pm »
GNOME  :pirate: , i just like the desktop, simple and easy to use  :thumbsup:

Offline SmokeNMirrors  22764

• Former Staff
  • Global Rep: 11687
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:45:28 pm »
https://docs.slackware.com/[/url]
Especially the Getting Started pages and the Slackware Essentials book.

RTF on! Built a ISP in just this... So highly configurable and the fluff can be removed quickly..
Good call!

Offline Dr_Stanley  854

• Former Mod
  • Global Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 05:59:44 am »
my favority linux distro of time no holds barred all hands down and the most perfectest OS in all humanuty is the one i'm using to post this comment

ps: where did the show us your desktop thread wented to

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:04:38 am by Dr_Stanley »

Offline penguinpirate  905

• Super User
  • Global Rep: 307
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:44:44 am »
I got a new laptop so had to install a new OS, no way in hell I was using windows 10.

I tried Manjaro, wouldn't install, then tried Antergos another Arch based distro and that worked fine so I'm using that now. Arch is too much hassle to install and its almost identical to Antergos or Manaro, I might switch later on if I'm bored but I want to be very bored. I still have Arch installed on the old laptop and the other older laptop too.
Heres a screen shot, I use Xfce desktop.

lol, wtf am I doing, posting a screenshot with my IP on it!! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:48:53 am by penguinpirate »

Offline chaves  36

• Uploader
  • Global Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
Linux Mint MATE, because I like the look of the start menu, task bar position, buttons, etc.
this seems to be the most customizable distro, we can change everything  :thumbsup:

Offline Lumos  116

• Uploader
  • Global Rep: 35
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:45:32 pm »
Linux Mint, it's noob friendly, comes with all the "necessary" stuff out of the box and it'd very stable.

Offline Jim_Hawkins  7978

• Former Translator
  • Global Rep: 7147
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 07:58:37 pm »
Years ago, used Ubuntu with KDE.
Remember they had a very friendly community  :love:, learn many things that of course, I also forgot...

Offline bi0t0xin  52

• Global Rep: 5
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
on laptops I go with AnonOS or AnonymousOS which sound similar but are functionally different with the same intent, basically every computer has all these details about the hardware and what you're using that get sent out with almost any request, these distros strip all that information out to either basic/scratched empty data strings of 0's or lets you define it yourself. They're both still under heavy development but wow do they hide your ass when you basically need a burner system.

On various other portables like scratch build raspberry's or old android phones I put Kali or backtrack on them for portable hacking tools, or in some cases a custom ROM depending on what I need

On my home desktops I tend to run Arch or redhat, and CentOS on my home server, with FreeBSD for my file server, and UnRaid on my experimentation setup.

To clarify my file server is setup for storage, backup, and streaming, I'm not including my htpc's for things like Plex to TV and the file server is different from the home server which does a lot more as well as controlling firewall and outside access to the home network when I'm away. It's more of a middle man than anything but it has some of it's own functionality like FTP setup for hosting my site. The point of UnRaid is the virtualization so that way I don't have to go too crazy when dealing with new systems I just virtualize or instance and go.

Offline CircleRepeat  112

• Global Rep: 50
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 11:02:48 pm »
i am a big fan of arch linux, like i3 for my gui/tile manager.
ive been using it for almost a year.
i have selinux compiled and implemented on it.
i used to use centos once in a while, however was a big fan of kali linux. these days, kali linux is not an os you really use as it is really insecure. and all the tools for it you can put on any gnu/linux distro.

EDIT:
i came across this gif on reddit, "the story of most, if not all arch users", im in love with arch linux, and i thought fellow arch users might get a kick out of this!
https://i.imgur.com/rQIb4Vw.gifv
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:17:30 am by CircleRepeat »

Offline p2pFreak  6

• Uploader
  • Global Rep: 1
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »

Yes! That GIF is awesome! XD
I to love Arch linux and have struggled to find something I like more in the vast seas of distros. RN It's Arch + KDE. KDE can be buggy (very buggy sometimes), but I like the customization that it offers over most other DEs. I absolutely LOVE i3's simplicity and I have it on my laptop.

Love to hear other's opinions :)

Online Sasidhar  9905

• KAT Staff
  • Global Rep: 8084
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »
Kali ;)

Offline mozgan  5

• Uploader
  • Global Rep: 3
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »
Actually, linux distros are nice, but I am BSDish :nerd:

Online SuZy  20949

• KAT Staff
  • Global Rep: 15311
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 07:11:45 pm »
Still Linux Mint :) I may try some others when I will be bored.  :laugh:

Online oldrava  18482

• KAT Tech Crew
  • Global Rep: 14733
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
Lubuntu , lightweight , great performance and no glitches

Offline InkQuill72  120

• Global Rep: 41
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »
That GIF is the story of my life quite literally... :head-wall:  :Mr.G:
Thanks for sharing it.
Once upon a time I was you... Have fun sir. :thumbsup:
Presently I'm into Manjaro. I like their KDE offering. It is the right mix of stable and new for me. Plus I get to have all the great stuff that AUR offers as well. Of course I try to be careful and so, so far I haven't run into any issues.  :loveliness:  :smiley: :love: :cool: