Author Topic: Why We Do What We Do  (Read 516 times)

didso  1411

• Staff - Tech
  • Rate: 347
Why We Do What We Do
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:27:44 am »
Why We Do What We Do (Part 01)

Here on Kickass Torrents (KAT) we often get asked a few questions over and over again. There are some things that are done here for reasons that are not immediately obvious and this hopefully will help to answer some of those questions.

Why are anonymous users allowed to comment?

Something that drives all of us a little crazy here are the comments left in torrent feedback from anonymous users. We get asked all the time why they are allowed to comment when those comments are sometimes unhelpful and sometimes just plain damaging. Anonymous users will sometimes insist a torrent is a fake when it's not or they will flame other users and sometimes leave spam links to other sites.

All of those accusations levelled at them are true. However, they also quite often leave very helpful feedback. I have seen anonymous users leaving detailed and helpful comments for people who are struggling to install a piece of software, and I have seen them leaving useful feedback on the quality of something they have downloaded. If a torrent is rare it might not have very much feedback at all from site members so it can be pretty useful to have feedback from those anonymous users. Comments, (And this includes registered members comments) that are not allowed on the site such as spam links or comments that are flaming of other users, are deleted by our mod team and although it's a lot of hard work to try to stay on top of this we feel it's worth it. We feel it's worth doing that extra work because we want this to be an inclusive site. After all, we all started out as anonymous users and just because there are a few bad apples, that's no reason to throw out the whole apple cart.

Anonymous users are also the people who keep this site running. That's right, without them the site we all love so much would not even exist! This site generates revenue with advertising and once you create an account here and are signed in that advertising disappears but the anonymous users see it all the time. Allowing them to leave feedback on torrents encourages them to keep visiting this site. Ultimately when they see what an inclusive and friendly community we have here, it encourages them to sign up for an account and join us. So if you see anonymous users leaving feedback, please don't rate down their comment or leave a comment of your own attacking them. (And if you attack anyone, even an anonymous user a Mod will delete your comment and send you a polite pm) We are a community that sets a higher standard than any other torrent site and we want to encourage strangers, to become friends. (But do click on the report button if you see flaming or offensive remarks or spam comments)

Original creator: AhrimanThorn
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:51:24 am by didso »

didso  1411

• Staff - Tech
Re: Why We Do What We Do
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:40:53 am »
Why We Do What We Do (Part 02)

Why Do You Remove Some Torrents?

Any torrent that breaks the site rules is automatically deleted but it is true that we do also delete some other torrents, and here is why.

KAT does not host any illegal content. We simply index torrents. If we receive a request from a company asking us to remove something that we are indexing because it is in breach of copyright, we comply. Now it's not easy for someone to have something removed from the site and it takes more than just a request. They must be very specific about what it is that they want removed and they are required to prove they are indeed the owner of the material, or that they represent the owner. They have to prove that the content they wish to be removed is in fact copyrighted and they must provide links to specific torrent pages. If we could we would make them nakedly fight a tiger as well but apparently that's something we can't force them to do. (Doesn't hurt to dream though)

So why do we do this when other torrent sites don't? We are still here and some of those other sites are now gone so that is why we do this. While it's true that there is one very famous site that we all know about (Let's call them the Swedish vessel) that defiantly refuses to ever take down anything, it's also true that they sail on treacherous waters. We salute them and admire them greatly for the stand they take, but we have chosen a slightly different course and because of this our site remains when others have fallen and KAT is very rarely ever off line.

Our compliance with DMCA copyright law means that we (In theory) benefit from what is known as 'The Safe Harbour Provision' This means we are in compliance with copyright law and so are exempt from having legal action taken against us for copyright infringement. This unfortunately does not prevent some countries from choosing to block access to this site if they choose to do so, but of course with the use of proxies that particular little obstacle can be easily circumnavigated.
On average roughly two hundred and fifty torrents a week are taken down but that number is insignificant when compared to how many new torrents are added.

Some uploaders who have material taken down have taken the position that for every torrent they have removed, they will upload two new torrents to replace it. We recommend that when you do upload you do so on multiple sites to ensure the best chance of your upload being seen, and to give it the best chance of survival.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:51:43 am by didso »

didso  1411

• Staff - Tech
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:44:35 am »
Why We Do What We Do (Part 03)

Why Do Some People Get Promoted And Not Others?

Now this is a bit complicated but I will try to explain things as simply as possible. Promotion here from a User to a Super User and above happens for a variety of reasons and there is no single path to promotion. We do have an excellent guide called How To Become A Super User At KAT! which tells you all the things you can do to increase your chances of being promoted to a Super User. This however is only a guide, not an instruction manual.  It is possible to do all of the things in the guide and still not get promoted and one reason that can happen is if you have been involved in altercations with other users here. What largely determines why one person will get promoted and why another will not is to do with how you interact with other people on the site. Being a Super User is as much about temperament as it is about being able to hunt fakes and find things to report. Of course we do need our Super Users to help us to keep the site clean and safe but we also need them to be able to deal with people in a calm and polite manner. In short, people skills are required. Now that is not to say that if you don't get promoted it is because we think you lack people skills. There are a great many variables involved as to why some people get promoted and others don't. Evidence that you have a good all round knowledge of the site will help you to be selected. You might well be very sociable in some of the games or picture threads, but if someone asked you where to go to learn how to use BB code or asked you about correct sig sizes, would you be able to provide them with a link to the appropriate thread? So being active in many areas of the community and being helpful in general might help you to get noticed.

Some people get promoted and it's not obvious what they have done to earn that promotion. You look at what they are doing and you see no evidence of hunting fakes or reporting spammers so you wonder if they have been promoted simply because they are popular, or perhaps friends with a Mod or Staff member. The simple truth here is that you cannot see everything that someone is doing. I am actually one of those people who's activity on the site is not obvious. I have little talent for spotting fakes and although I report spammers it might not be very obvious that I have done much else. What I did used to do, (And still do) is spend a lot of time sending pm's to people offering them help with things. I searched out new users on the site and left messages on their walls welcoming them to the community and left links to useful guides on the site. Much of what I do is done behind the scenes and will never show up in my rep tab, and so it is with many people here who are promoted.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:51:57 am by didso »

didso  1411

• Staff - Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:39 am »
Why We Do What We Do (Part 04)

Why Do Some People Get Promoted And Not Others? (continued)

Ultimately not everyone will get promoted and that is as much about numbers as it is about anything else. Sometimes we simply don't need more Super Users because we have enough at the time, and given that we have so many members here not everyone can be promoted. Sometimes a user will be here for two years and then out of the blue they get a promotion, so don't lose heart if it doesn't happen within the first few months of being here, because it's never too late. Having a title here is nice but it also means you are held to a higher level of accountability. You have less free time to do what you enjoy doing and a title will not automatically apportion you respect. There are users here who I have a huge amount of respect for and who's council I seek from time to time and I turn to them because I know they can be counted on, the fact that they do not have a title is of no consequence to me.

Super Users are picked for different reasons because we need a broad range of abilities. If we need more Super Users and you have the qualities we are looking for you will be noticed so don't call us asking for it wait for us to call you.

We need everyone here and everyone is a member of the same family and ultimately it is not the Staff or the Mods or the Super Users that make this place what it is, it's the ordinary users and without them, this place would not exist.

Hopefully this has answered some of those questions that get asked more often here than any other questions. A great many of the questions people have will have already been answered in the FAQ so please do check there first if you are unsure about something.

A basic guide is available for new users which will show you how to navigate round the site and will explain common terms and titles here, and this is called The Beginners Guide to the Site

For real time help with any questions or problems you have please ask in the Help Thread

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:52:20 am by didso »