Author Topic: Audio file quality poll  (Read 1226 times)

penguinpirate  516

• Super User
  • Rate: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Audio file quality vote
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 06:29:12 am »
Some stuff I can hear a difference some not, I have noticed some CDs are pretty low quality and in that case nothing will make it better.
But for me, I just like to have it lossless, no matter what happens in future you always got the source you started out with so you can use that to create any file you like.
I am the same with videos too, I like to have source if I can, especially for archiving.

cubbie  4

• Rate: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Audio file quality poll
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 04:11:54 pm »
These days, I mostly listen to various sub-genres of electronic music & I still only choose to download FLAC/Lossless.  IOW, Lossless is not a preference only for those listening to genres like classical or jazz.

MikeBy  2

• Rate: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 02:11:58 am »
mp3, fast internet doesn't exist here, and I can't really hear the difference anyway.

Spoetzl  146

• Uploader
  • Rate: 85
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 07:03:36 pm »
I prefer FLAC.  Even a lot of audiophiles dispute whether 24b and other higher formats bring anything more to the table.  The public generally thinks that more information is better, but there may be some issues with the reasoning.  Assuming both formats of the music come from the same master, there's little-to-no difference.  Most of the extra data is outside of the limits of human hearing, thus doesn't create an audible difference.

Rather than spend money, space, and time on SACD's, etc., you might be better off investing in an external DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that provides better performance than a higher bitrate alone... or do both SACD and DAC, but the DAC first.  You must have digital outs from your source and an external amplifier for for it to work though, so it's only if you're pretty serious about your sound.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:06:16 pm by Spoetzl »

xSnowLeopardx  7

• Rate: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Audio file quality vote
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 11:52:12 pm »
Loving FLAC, but listening to a lot of 320 kbps too.
(For non-digital : Vinyls > CD's in my opinion) :smiley:

Exactly this :p

B3XM4N  47

• Rate: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 12:55:10 pm »
Porque no las dos? [Translation: Why not both?]

What I mean by that is that I like FLAC, so that if I have to burn to CD for a friend, then I'm getting the original CD quality. Plus, as someone said, you can convert to any format required. I've been redownloading a lot of discographies that I previously only had in mp3.

That said, I've got an iPod Classic connected to an FM transmitter in my car, so mp3 is all I need for that purpose. Also, if it's something I'm not sure I'll like, I'll get the mp3 down first. If I like, then I'll look for FLAC, but if not, then why waste the time/space/effort?

As for vinyl rips/24 bit, well I'm only listening to music in my car on on my computer, so there's no need for these in my case.

Moses_Aaron  121

• Verified Uploader
  • Rate: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 01:15:17 pm »
If I had to choose between iTunes and mp3(CBR or VBR) doesn't matter, I would choose the former hands down.

Because though mp3 delivers that extra sound in your ears-its for them who don't 'relish' their music as iTunes stands for quality. Not to mention the smaller size. The smoothness in the sound is incredible-so is the clarity in the latter.

As for FLAC-I believe that its for music lovers who are paranoid about the stuff they listen to. There is hardly any difference between 320kbps and the same; not to mention the extra space it takes up.

Jim_Hawkins  401

• Rate: 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 06:29:36 pm »
Well, got a spectro of my ears, and the conclusion is that too high-level quality is unnecessary, I will not perceive it !  :cry:

So, with a good MP3, I can feel fine...

Superbikemike  1245

• Super User
  • Rate: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 07:22:38 pm »
dosent matter.... 1st i have to listen to it regardless of what file it is....  flac or other wise you can still end up with crap either way..
then i convert it to mp3.. for me its about the quality of the audio not the container its in  :tongue:

Jim_Hawkins  401

• Rate: 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 07:45:18 pm »
dosent matter.... 1st i have to listen to it regardless of what file it is....  flac or other wise you can still end up with crap either way..
then i convert it to mp3.. for me its about the quality of the audio not the container its in  :tongue:

Totally agree, pure common sense !  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :clap: